Peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips and walnuts are an updated version of the basic peanut butter cookie. Peanut butter is a favorite around my house and I love to make different iterations based on what I have on hand.
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 ounces white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Mix flour, oats, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat peanut butter, brown sugar, butter, honey, egg and vanilla in a large bowl until well blended. Stir dry ingredients into peanut butter mixture in 2 additions. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts. Cover and refrigerate until dough is firm and no longer sticky, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Butter two large baking sheets or cover with a silicone baking sheet. With hands, roll one heaping tablespoonful of dough for each cookie into 1 3/4-inch diameter ball. Arrange cookies on prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 1/2 inches apart. Bake cookies until puffed, beginning to brown on top and still very soft to touch, about 12 minutes. Cool cookies on baking sheets 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to rack and cool completely.
These cookies are a delicious balance between sweet chocolate and salty peanut butter with a walnut finish make this a perfect cookie. The flavor in walnuts can be attributed to the tannins. Walnut tannins are especially great for balancing sweet, nutty dishes which is why the walnuts in this dish give an ordinary peanut butter cookie a very refined finish.
Don’t be afraid to experimented with an original recipe. That’s the fun of cooking but it can be intimidating when baking. This experiment resulted in a cookie that was delicious and my husband claims to like much more than the original! I hope you try my version of the traditional peanut butter cookie. Enjoy!