Spring and summer are wonderful especially if you love fresh fruits and vegetables. I am very lucky to have fresh produce available to me year round in Southern California. However, I still get excited every spring and summer when things start to grow and my thoughts turn from comfort foods to fresh salads and grilling. This Mexican chopped salad is the perfect way to kick start your healthy eating habits into high gear. Don’t forget it’s only a few short months until we have to start thinking about swimsuit season!
- 2 1/2 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 can (15.5 oz) black beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup sliced cherry tomato
- 3/4 cup fresh corn kernels (frozen or canned may be used)
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp chopped jalapeño pepper (more or less depending on desired heat level)
- Toss all salad ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl mix dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over salad, toss and season with salt and pepper.
- Avocado diced
- 3/4 cup peeled jicama
- Grilled chicken marinaded for 30 minutes in lime juice, garlic and olive oil, grilled and sliced.
This salad is perfect for lunch or dinner and can be modified in so many ways to your taste. It’s a great way to eat healthy yet be satisfied. Maybe you will even have enough calories left over to enjoy this salad with a margarita!
I hope you enjoy this salad and keep thinking of fabulous ways to incorporate vegetables into your day!