I think you can tell by my blog that I have a sweet tooth! I have to admit that I like something sweet after a meal (almost every time). However, I don’t always like to have an overly decadent dessert. It doesn’t always sound good and let’s face it I can’t or shouldn’t eat cake every day. So when I want something a little sweet, but not too over the top, I grab a biscotti. They are crunchy, slightly sweet and can be made with an endless number of ingredient combinations. For this particular chocolate almond biscotti, I chose my ingredients base on what I had on hand, plus chocolate and almonds are a combination that are hard to beat!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup whole almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, 2 egg whites and vanilla extract. Gradually add egg mixture to flour mixture, blending on low. Toss almonds with chocolate chips then add to flour mixture and blend by hand until just combined.
- On a well floured surface* form dough into two logs, approximately 3 inches wide by 1 inch tall. Place on a greased baking sheet or a baking sheet lined with a silicone liner. Brush top of each log with egg white.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until logs are firm.
- Allow logs to cool for 15 minutes, then cut into 1/2 inch slices. Place slices on a greased or silicone lined baking sheet. Bake at 350℉ until baked through and slightly crispy, about 15-20 minutes.
- Cool and store in an airtight container.
- *Dough will be very wet. It is very important to use enough flour when forming logs or else dough will be difficult to handle.
These biscotti are crunchy and the toasted almonds compliment the chocolate perfectly. I will be enjoying these with my coffee for days to come. I hope you are able to make a batch and take a little coffee break yourself.