Peanut butter cookies are an American classic that have been popular for a very long time. They are the cookie that you can make in no time flat and probably already have all the ingredients in your pantry. While those are all great things, I took the simple peanut butter cookie for granted. In my search for a more complicated, sophisticated cookie, I literally “forgot” how delicious a simple chewy peanut butter cookie can be.
Makes 18-24 cookies.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cream butter and sugars together in the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment.
- Add peanut butter, egg and vanilla. Mix well, scraping the bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture all at once and beat until just incorporated.
- Scoop dough onto silicone lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until just set. Cookies will feel soft.
- Cool slightly then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
My husband has asked me to make peanut butter cookies several times and I always made my Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips & Walnuts. They are delicious for sure, but he kept hinting he wanted a “regular” peanut butter cookie. I translated this to boring and reluctantly went on a search for a basic recipe. I have actually made recipes in the past and was not much of a fan because they were crispy and/or dry versus soft and chewy which is what we prefer. I found a recipe by Dessert Now Dinner Later. It was perfect because it did not require anything complicated – just mix, scoop and bake! What could be more perfect, especially since I didn’t really want to make a plain peanut butter cookie?
I have to admit I was looking for a basic recipe I could make once, then modify it to our particular taste. After I made these cookies the first time, I quickly realized that there would be no modifications and I had to give credit where credit was due. These are amazing! They are soft in the middle with just the slightest crunch/bite on the outside. They literally will make you bonkers. I think we ate the entire batch in two days. I have made these several times since and I am able to resist the urge to add or change anything about them which is what makes a classic a classic. If it hadn’t been for my husband pushing me to make what I thought was a pedestrian cookie, I would have missed out on these beautiful little gems. It just goes to show that getting back to basics and peeling back all the unnecessary clutter in our lives, oops I mean cookies, we can get back to basics and enjoy the simple things in life which are usually the best things!
What’s your favorite classic cookie recipe? Do you try to modify it to change things up occasionally or do you like to keep a classic a classic?