Blueberry buttermilk pancakes have been a Sunday morning tradition in our house for as long as I remember. There is nothing cozier than sleeping in, then making these luxuriously rich pancakes for my husband. It makes me feel like a good wife.
These blueberry pancakes are special because of the buttermilk. I have made pancakes all my life. I come from a place (midwest) and time (1970’s) where premixed box mixes were all the rage. I used a box mix to make my pancakes with regular milk for years. My husband claimed to not even like pancakes until I started using this recipe. One day while shopping, it dawned on me that it was really silly to buy a pre made pancake mix. How hard could it be to mix the dry ingredients for pancakes? Seems obvious now, but at the time I really felt like I was hit by the most brilliant idea ever – I’ll make pancakes from scratch.
This recipe, and it’s main ingredient buttermilk, literally changed my life. Okay, they are just pancakes, but I’m serious, the buttermilk makes them so much better. Stop wasting precious time and start using buttermilk in all of your pancake recipes.
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for cooking
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 250℉. Place baking sheet in oven. Whisk first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk buttermilk, eggs, and 2 tablespoons butter in medium bowl; stir into dry ingredients. Fold in berries.
- Heat large nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat; brush with butter. Drop batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto griddle. Cook pancakes until brown, brushing griddle with more butter as needed, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to sheet in oven to keep warm. Serve with maple syrup.
My husband is now a huge fan of pancakes. To think that if I hadn’t thought to make these from scratch, we would be missing out on the lightest, fluffiest pancakes ever. They have become a staple in our home. I hope that you try these out and discover for yourself that pancakes from scratch are so easy and totally worth the effort. Enjoy!