Eggplant is one of my favorite summer vegetables. It’s so delicious so many ways. I love to grill an entire eggplant, use what I need, then use the leftovers on Homemade Eggplant Pizza or sandwiches. It grills up so perfectly! Another one of my favorites is heirloom tomatoes and goat cheese. They are also very versatile, but are perfect in my grilled eggplant sandwich.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 2 panini rolls
- 1 small eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 medium heirloom tomatos sliced thick
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 ounces soft, fresh goat cheese
- 6 large basil leaves
- Preheat grill on medium-high heat.
- Combine olive oil and garlic in a small bowl, let stand 5 minutes.
- Slice panini rolls in half and brush the cut sides of the panini as well as both sides of the eggplant and tomato with garlic oil.
- Season eggplant and tomato with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill cut side of panini until toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Grill eggplant until cooked through, about 6 minutes each side; transfer to plate.
- Grill tomatoes until warmed through, about 1-2 minutes each side, transfer to plate.
- Spread goat cheese on bread, dividing equally.
- Top goat cheese with basil slices.
- Alternate between eggplant and tomatoes and stack on panini.
- Top with bread and slice down the middle.
There are a couple of tips I will give you. First, use the best bread you can get your hands on. I really like these panini rolls from La Brea Bakery. They come in a super size pack and I just freeze them to use them whenever I’m ready. The second tip I would give you it to use the largest tomatoes you can find. You don’t have to use heirloom, but I really love them. They are imperfect and funky while being super flavorful. Beefeater tomatoes would be great on this sandwich as well. Just remember you are actually grilling the tomatoes so you want something that won’t fall apart on the grill.
We don’t eat a ton of meat and I’m always trying to find delicious recipes that don’t make you feel like you are missing it. This grilled sandwich is perfect because the eggplant is very meaty and when grilled, it really is hearty. My husband was on the fence with this one and actually asked me a couple of times during the day “what we were going to do for dinner”. That is husband code for I’m not so sure about this sandwich recipe. I am happy to report that he loved them. They really are delicious and I promise you won’t miss meat for one night.
I served these with my Baked Bistro Fries. They are a much lighter version of deep fried fries. They are staple around here because potatoes are cheap and fries are delicious!
I hope you enjoy these grilled eggplant grilled sandwiches. It’s a great way to add some vegetables to your diet. I’m always looking for ways to make healthy things exciting. How do you incorporate vegetables into your day? I’d love to hear all of your creative ideas!